It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I've decided to make a Blue Angel for this submission. I've decided that Blue Angels would be likely to get Favorable Winds-type effects. At the last minute, I added red to it.

Basandra, Serra Prophet
Legendary Creature-Angel (R)
Flying
Other creatures you control with flying get +2/+0
Creatures you don't control without flying get -2/-0
Fair winds and following seas to her compatriots, death and desecration to her detractors.
4/4

Edit 1157 PDT 5/18: Added flavor text and control.

Last edited by purplebackpack89 on Fri May 18, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
elevate you bastard you can't just waltz in and out of my life like this
card forthcoming

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Work in Progress

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:07 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Hellstorm Demon
Creature - Demon
Flying, haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, another target creature you control becomes a red 6/1 elemental creature with trample and 'At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice this creature'.
Life's short, but demons do their best to speed up the process.
4/4

Hell's Thunder
Ball Lightning

Last edited by arathinius on Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:41 pm 

A non-red Dragon? This is the definite easiest of the five. I mean we had a set that was 4/5s based around this (Okay the math isn't perfect but whatever). Since the other guy did mono-black, I'll do the remaining three colors.

Treva, Renewed Lord
Legendary Creature - Dragon
Flying, Vigilance, Lifelink
Whenever one or more creatures attack you or a Planeswalker you control, you may pay . If you do, exile X target attacking creatures and gain X life.
7/7

What if Treva got reincarnated instead of/alongside Darigaaz? That's the idea behind this card. Much more defensive though as the original was a life gainer. But still a 7/7 flyer for 7. Still might adjust so not a finished product.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Eye of Hazoret-
Creature-Sphinx
Flying, Menace
When Eye of Hazoret enters the battlefield, target opponent guesses "win" or "lose", then you flip a coin. If you win the flip, draw a card. Then, if your opponent guessed wrong, Eye of Hazoret deals 3 damage to them.
"I eat, I live. I breathe, I live. I drink, I die. What am I?"
4/4

basically you've got a big random element but your opponent gets to decide the sort of risk they want take. do they want the all-or-nothing option of guessing that you'll lose, or do they want to split the punishments up and guarantee they'll get one but avoid the chance of both at once? I think the body is strong enough to warrant a pick in limited (it's probably rare) but I don't think this is gonna make waves in constructed, and the random element, while relevant, isn't a huge part of the card's value so I don't think it's gonna be too bad for Spikes. menace is largely for flavor, but also to give it a bit more control of the skies.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 am 

As worded, I don't understand how your opponent has any influence in whether you draw a card or not. It's basically just 50/50 whether you get a card and 50/50 if your opponent takes damage.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:18 am 

The opponent chooses whether your flip is an "all or nothing" flip, or a "one or the other" flip

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:03 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mata Hari wrote:
As worded, I don't understand how your opponent has any influence in whether you draw a card or not. It's basically just 50/50 whether you get a card and 50/50 if your opponent takes damage.

they have no influence on whether you draw, but they do get to decide whether you drawing a card also means they take damage. it's not two independent 50/50 shots: you only flip one coin. look at it this way:

|they pick "win"|they pick "lose"
you win|you draw|you draw, they take 3
you lose|they take 3|nothing

they pick the column, the coin picks the row. picking lose gives them the best possible outcome but also the worst. picking win lets them spread that risk out so that either way they get a little hurt but they're protected from the nightmare scenario.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 am 
YMtC Champ '10

Preferred Pronoun Set: dude
elevate you bastard you can't just waltz in and out of my life like this

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:53 am 

Honor-Song Valkyrie
Creature — Angel
Flying
Whenever an attacking creature dies, add .
A valkyrie's presence above the field of battle is a violent omen. Their song drives men to noble death, found often enough on the edge of a kyr's blade.
4/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Mogu of Temperance
Creature — Demon
Vigilance
You can't play more than one card each turn. (This includes lands.)
Those who stray too far off the path find their only way back to society through contracts with the Mogu; powerful creatures with a demonic conviction for austerity.
6/6

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:36 am 

our dog was acting weird so we took it to the vet and apparently it had an ear infection so they cleaned it out and we have to give it eardrops and apparently it has allergies so we're supposed to give it benadryll which is kind of funky

putting all these in one place so i can judge them easier

Flopfoot wrote:
Hylophobia - :1::b:
Tribal Enchantment - Treefolk
Whenever a creature with toughness 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, target opponent discards a card.

Elevate wrote:
Dunora, Arbiter of Omens |
Legendary Creature - Sphinx
Flying
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, its controller names a card, then reveals the top card of their library. If the revealed card isn't the named card, destroy that creature.
He is judgement given form: piercing and without retribution.
4/4

I think my wording is a little rusty, but you get it.

Knight Otu wrote:
Fallower Hellkite
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying, menace
Whenever Fallower Hellkite deals combat damage to a player, put a fallowing counter on a random target nonbasic land that player controls. If that land already has a fallowing counter on it, destroy it instead.
The dragons of Baradhan are a greedy and jealous bunch. What they can't have, no one else shall, either.
4/4

I've decided to make a Blue Angel for this submission. I've decided that Blue Angels would be likely to get Favorable Winds-type effects. At the last minute, I added red to it.

Basandra, Serra Prophet
Legendary Creature-Angel (R)
Flying
Other creatures you control with flying get +2/+0
Creatures you don't control without flying get -2/-0
Fair winds and following seas to her compatriots, death and desecration to her detractors.
4/4

Edit 1157 PDT 5/18: Added flavor text and control.

Work in Progress

arathinius wrote:
Hellstorm Demon
Creature - Demon
Flying, haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, another target creature you control becomes a red 6/1 elemental creature with trample and 'At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice this creature'.
Life's short, but demons do their best to speed up the process.
4/4

Hell's Thunder
Ball Lightning

A non-red Dragon? This is the definite easiest of the five. I mean we had a set that was 4/5s based around this (Okay the math isn't perfect but whatever). Since the other guy did mono-black, I'll do the remaining three colors.

Treva, Renewed Lord
Legendary Creature - Dragon
Flying, Vigilance, Lifelink
Whenever one or more creatures attack you or a Planeswalker you control, you may pay . If you do, exile X target attacking creatures and gain X life.
7/7

What if Treva got reincarnated instead of/alongside Darigaaz? That's the idea behind this card. Much more defensive though as the original was a life gainer. But still a 7/7 flyer for 7. Still might adjust so not a finished product.

razorborne wrote:
Eye of Hazoret-
Creature-Sphinx
Flying, Menace
When Eye of Hazoret enters the battlefield, target opponent guesses "win" or "lose", then you flip a coin. If you win the flip, draw a card. Then, if your opponent guessed wrong, Eye of Hazoret deals 3 damage to them.
"I eat, I live. I breathe, I live. I drink, I die. What am I?"
4/4

basically you've got a big random element but your opponent gets to decide the sort of risk they want take. do they want the all-or-nothing option of guessing that you'll lose, or do they want to split the punishments up and guarantee they'll get one but avoid the chance of both at once? I think the body is strong enough to warrant a pick in limited (it's probably rare) but I don't think this is gonna make waves in constructed, and the random element, while relevant, isn't a huge part of the card's value so I don't think it's gonna be too bad for Spikes. menace is largely for flavor, but also to give it a bit more control of the skies.

Honor-Song Valkyrie
Creature — Angel
Flying
Whenever an attacking creature dies, add .
A valkyrie's presence above the field of battle is a violent omen. Their song drives men to noble death, found often enough on the edge of a kyr's blade.
4/4

Mown wrote:
Mogu of Temperance
Creature — Demon
Vigilance
You can't play more than one card each turn. (This includes lands.)
Those who stray too far off the path find their only way back to society through contracts with the Mogu; powerful creatures with a demonic conviction for austerity.
6/6

should have this done either within a couple hours or this evening

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:40 am 

post pictures of do'g

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 pm 

i got roped into family stuff i'll have results up by morning

here are some pictures of my dog

https://imgur.com/a/lbQdCYi

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:55 pm 

Ragnarokio wrote:
here are some pictures of my dog

https://imgur.com/a/lbQdCYi
incredibly powerful dog

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 am 

big dog

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:00 am 

Flopfoot vs Q

Flopfoot's "Hylophobia" - Seems like it could be a little too oppressive. In the right deck this is potentially a lot of discard for 2 mana. Repeated discard in general is probably pretty hard to balance, so I think this would be better at a much higher cost, although it might then have the issue of being niche. I like the concept though.

Q's "Colfenor, Last of the Yew" - I like this take on Colfenor. The effect seems somewhat more blue to me, although I think that of the original card as well. Its justifiable enough in black as well though, i think, especially since you lose the ability to play the cards once you lose colfenor.

Flopfoot vs Q

Elevate vs Razorborne

Elevate's "Dunora, Arbiter of Omens" - This is a little mean and a little grindy, I think. How strong it is probably depends on how easily you can play around the drawback. Balance aside, my primarily concern with this card is probably that the gameplay it generates will end up being unfun, since it potentially reads something like "counter the first creature spell your opponent plays each turn". The randomness in the reliability of the effect when its not being played around is also a minus.

Razorborne's "Eye of Hazoret" - is the answer fire? I think that the mechanic is worded pretty awkwardly and takes a while to fully grok, which isn't a great thing considering how little i feel it actually matters. Other than that I like the card and it feels pretty sphinxy.

Elevate vs Razorborne

Knight Otu vs Curious Heartless
Knight Otu's "Fallower Hellkite" - I feel like this would probably be better if it didn't hit random lands. Needing to connect twice is already something of a challenge, and it being a non-hasty 5-drop means you won't be destroying a land for a long time anyways. Magic players also tend not to like randomness on cards. Aside from that, I like the card.

Curious Heartless' "Treva, Renewed Lord" - I like this interpretation of Treva, although I'm not sure about the word "lord" for a female. I don't generally like abilities that your opponent can choose whether or not to trigger because in practice the ability will only end up triggering when the opponent can afford to have it trigger, and so its not as much fun as it looks. I think that it works fine here though, since what it ends up doing is pretty conductive to the feeling of the rest of the card anyways (slowly beating down the opponent while preventing them from being able to reasonably attack you).

Knight Otu vs Curious Heartless

Arathinius vs Mown
Arathinius' "Hellstorm Demon" - I like this. I think the effect is interesting and that it is costed well. If I have any complaint its that the effect doesn't really get to show off enough on a card this big and on an upkeep trigger. This late in the game having to turn your other creatures into lightning balls could even be more of a drawback than an upside, but it isn't costed that way. I think I'd like to see the effect on a more aggressively costed card, and possibly with an additional catch.

Mown's "Mogu of Temperance" - I really like this and I think its a great take on a white demon. The card mechanically and flavourfully feels very much like a traditional demon card while also feeling very white, and I like the card itself as well.

Arathinius vs Mown

Johnny vs PBP

Johnny's "Honor Song Valkyrie - I'm not familiar with the new mana wording so I'll have to go look that up to make sure this does what I think it does brb. So based on my understanding the mana generated by this card still empties at the end of the combat phase which sort of makes it not great. The only time you'll be able to use the mana produced by this card is effectively to cast instants after combat ends. A significant portion of instants are instants because they want to be cast during combat, especially red instants, so this is pretty bad. If the mana lasted into the main phase I think that this would be a pretty great card and an especially great take on a red angel. The flavour and the mechanics are really resonant and also promote interesting and evocative gameplay. I figure that you probably meant for this to be how it worked or else just didn't think of it, and so i feel kind of bad for judging you on this sort of slip, but I think its most fair to interpret cards as they're written.

PBP's "Basandra, Serra Prophet" - I feel like this would fit better in blue-white than blue-red. It could honestly probably work in mono-white or mono-blue as well. I like the card itself but neither the flavour nor the mechanics are really making it feel like a "non-white angel". It comes along as more of a generic flying lord, which could have been a variety of creature types.

Johnny Vs PBP

Congratulations for those of you who have moved on, and better luck next time to the rest of you, or if there isn't a next time then better luck in whatever future endeavors you end up having.

I'll try to have the next round up within the next few hours although it might end up not being until tonight. Thanks for your patience. If you have any contestions/whatever in the meantime I'll be happy to answer them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:15 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

yeah it might've been worth shrinking the body and stepping up the effects a bit (2 cards, 5 damage?) to give the choice a bit more impact, but highly random cards can't also be strong without making a lot of players mad so I wanted to make sure a significant portion of the card's value was a known quantity.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:25 am 

i think your execution is arguably optimal, but i don't think the effect is really worth existing in the first place

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next