It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:32 am 

Not sure if the text on the land fits. If it doesn't the last two abilities should be replaced with this ability:

:4:, :t:: add one mana of any color,this ability costs :1: less for each other untapped cardname ypu control

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:01 pm 

Grades:

Tevish Szat

Q is 564453

razorborne

Hello World

Standings:
1) Q is 564453
2) Tevish Szat
3) razorborne
4) Hello World

Hello World has been eliminated. Thank you for playing!

Round 5

Make 3 cards.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
full disclosure I forgot Shamans existed. you're absolutely right, that was the correct class for that card. as for toughness, you're probably right, I could've made it an 0/3 or something, but I kinda like the 1/1 body because it makes it so you don't have to consider keeping it up to block in most situations. you're right that it works poorly with pyroclasm effects as-is, but I'm not sure whether that interaction would make the card more or less fun.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm 

The Grand Buffet

Yup, I've gobbled up the whole grand buffet. This actually makes things a little difficult for me. I could keep going with cards from Legends of Innistrad: Emrakul's Mask but I think the joke would wear out its welcome and drag down my grades. So instead, I'll do whatever. This round, I present a trio of legends from a theoretical other Bolas versus Plane scheme

Skuld, Manipulator of the Future
:1::u::u:
Legendary Creature - God
If another spell or ability you control would cause you to draw one or more cards, instead Scry X+1 and then draw X cards. X is equal to the number of cards you would have drawn.
If Skuld, Manipulator of the Future would leave the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand instead of putting it anywhere else.
Skuld saw Bolas's victory as inevitable, and allied with him out of a calculated desire to weather the oncoming storm
1/3

Urthr, Desecrator of the Past
:1::b::b:
Legendary Creature - God
Whenever a card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it with a relic counter on it
Whenever a player casts a spell with the same name as an exiled card with a relic counter, choose one -
  • Exile that spell and remove all relic counters from the exiled card.
  • Cast the exiled card without paying its mana cost.
If Urthr, Desecrator of the Past would leave the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand instead of putting it anywhere else.
Urthr saw Bolas's coming as the end of an age, and allied with him to finally break the cycle of time she had long collected.
2/2

Verdandi, Wanton of the Present
:1::r::r:
Legendary Creature - God
If Verdandi isn't summoning sick, you may cast instants and creatures without paying their mana costs. If you cast a creature spell this way it gains Haste and "At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice this creature"
Your maximum hand size is 0 and can't be increased or removed.
If Verdandi, Wanton of the Present would leave the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand instead of putting it anywhere else.
Verdandi did not care about the machinations of Nicol Bolas, but trusted her sisters above all else.
3/1

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:46 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Grand Buffet

Grafted Shambler-
Creature-Zombie Mutant
Grafted Shambler enters the battlefield with three arm counters.
Whenever Grafted Shambler is dealt damage, remove an arm counter from it.
Grafted Shambler gets +1/+0 for each arm counter on it.
"I've always felt that two was an unreasonable limitation."~Terkus, Necromancer
0/3

~non-green/blue mutant, unique counter, uncanny valley

yes it could be +1/+0 counters but they stopped using non-symmetrical pump counters a long time ago and I think that was a good call.

Eritas, Guide To Lost Realms-
Legendary Planeswalker - Eritas
Negative loyalty abilities of other planeswalkers you control cost 1 less loyalty counter to activate.
Whenever you activate a loyalty ability of another planeswalker, put a loyalty counter on Eritas.
: All loyalty abilities of planeswalkers you control cost until end of turn.

-planeswalker with one activated and one static ability (also gave it a triggered ability which may or may not be allowed depending on how you parse the sentence but I think it's ok.)

I think the War of the Spark enchant-walkers were a huge whiff, so I felt like the only way to make the concept work was to lean on a lord-ish angle. this is an enabler in a Super-Friends style deck, with its own ult that it can help build up to by making your other planeswalkers' abilities cost less.

Tides Of Sin-
Sorcery
Creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn. If you cast this spell from your hand, you may cast any number of cards named Tides Of Sin from your graveyard. (You pay their mana costs.)
"Terror only rises."~Inscription on the Gate of Belphemas

-no criteria left

the bigger modes are somewhat underpowered compared to, say, infest, but it's baseline nausea already so you can't push it too much further without breaking it. it's mostly for formats where Nausea's relevant on its own, and then you can use it as a slightly pricey infest if you get the opportunity and need to.

Grand Buffet

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:15 pm 

Grades:

Tevish Szat

razorborne

Standings:
1) razorborne
2) Tevish Szat
3) Q is 564453

Unfortunately, it is past the deadline. Q is 564453 is eliminated. Thank you for playing.

Round 6

Make 3 cards.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 pm 

Cheshire Cat's Smile
:1::u:
Sorcery
Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library
:u:: Shuffle Cheshire Cat's Smile into its owner's library. Activate this ability only if Cheshire Cat's Smile is in your graveyard.
The grin was all that remained, a promise of both wisdom and chaos

Mirrodin's Downfall

Enchantment - Saga
I - Put a -1/-1 counter on each creature. Each player gets a poison counter.
II - Proliferate. You can't choose Mirrodin's Downfall when you Proliferate this way.
III - Proliferate, then Proliferate again.

Tyrannical Oligarch
:3::w::b:
Creature - Vampire Advisor
Flying, Lifelink
Counter each spell unless its controller pays :w: or 1 life. Whenever an opponent pays life this way, you gain 1 life.
"The Orzhov have new rulership, and the same old abuses of power." - Lazav
3/4

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

just did the math and unless I screwed up there is currently half a point separating our totals so... this last round is a pretty big deal.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 pm 

I came to the conclusion that you had a 2-point advantage. If it's a half-point gap that's pretty huge and I'll have to look over my designs and actually maybe revise something.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I came to the conclusion that you had a 2-point advantage. If it's a half-point gap that's pretty huge and I'll have to look over my designs and actually maybe revise something.

round one I beat you by 1.5, round two you beat my by 2.5, round three we tied, round four you won by .5, and round five I won by 2, which adds up to me being .5 ahead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

this is hard to do with no criteria left.

Eras, Lord of Blades-
Legendary Creature-Human Rogue
Haste, first strike
Whenever Eras, Lord of Blades deals combat damage, if it's attacking, it deals 1 damage to each creature defending player controls.
"Catch!"
3/3

Deny Entrance-
Instant
Counter target creature spell. Its controller can't cast creature spells this turn.
When a sphinx tells you the club is at capacity, it's rarely wise to argue.

(flavor implies a world where clubs and nightlife are an important part of the culture. think Cult of Rakdos but across all colors.)

Assert Dominance-
Enchantment-Aura
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature. It has haste and attacks each turn if able.
"What good is strength if you lack the will to use it?"~Tormok, Warchief

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:41 pm 

Grades:

Tevish Szat

razorborne

Once again, a season draws to a close, and we must have a winner. Many great cards have been created, and I would like to thank you all for overcoming my absurd criteria. Congratulations to Tevish Szat for winning in the final round, and...
[dramatic music]

GRAND TOTAL SCORES

Congratulations to Tevish Szat, the Returning Chopped Champion!

It was interesting to see so many combinations of criteria, which made grading a lot of fun. However, the vast freedom offered by the Grand Buffet is a dangerous thing. Tune in next week for the regular season 6 of Chopped.

Like this post