It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: SleepHmper on XBL add me
DJ0045 wrote:
Oh boy ^^^

Looks like fun.

Also this:

I think the new standard is going to be very fast, all the fast mana, all the colors, spectacle decks are just pure reach. I think RDW, Rakdos, and Gruul aggro to an extent are going to be the early meta. If a control/mid range deck is going to last against those decks it will have to have a way to recover life and control the board or they will just lose to all the bolts red has available now.

Notice a lot of white cards in this set have some form of life gain, more in this set than i have noticed before.
Image Image Image

There are more examples but I think you get the point. Slow decks probably wont be able to survive red's reach if they can't gain life. I think playing addendum on your turn isn't great but if iit allows you to keep the life flowing and you are controlling the board you can't lose to what looks like some very strong aggro decks.

Lifegain aggro is already a deck that fairs well currently. Get ready for lifegain control.

Shalai, Voice of Plenty hoses spectacle pretty good too. I think midrange decks will have 4 copies of that card easy.

—Koth of the Hammer

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:30 pm 

Instant speed PW removal for :eek:

Red has always had burn but that's pretty new in green.

—Koth of the Hammer

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:34 pm 

Spoiler

Captive Audience {5}{B}{R}
Enchantment
Captive Audience enters the battlefield under the control of an opponent of your choice.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose one that hasn't been chosen —
• Your life total becomes 4.
• Discard your hand.
• Each opponent creates five 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens.

Not really a good card but man i would hate to get smacked with it lol

—Koth of the Hammer

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:56 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: uhhhhh
Hm...its probably trash but it's so fun conceptually.

The one true King of NGA Magic Duels on Xbox One.

You want some? Come get some. You don't like me? Bite me.

Day 1,000 of the never-ending Vert monarchy.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16077

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:04 am 

Identity: doesnt really matter
Preferred Pronoun Set: to me
Such great flavor, but doesn't seem like a good card. Is it even better than Cruel Reality as a 7 mana enchantment? At least CR has inevitability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 am 

neru wrote:
The more I try to figure out Addendum, the more I think they want us to build different types of UW decks than we normally do. Like a mechanic that asks us to play Gruul control rather than Gruul beatdown. I don't know what those decks will look like or if they'll be any good, but I'm feeling more and more like I'm doing it wrong by thinking of it in terms of usual Azorius playstyle.

Azorius is mainly tempo in this set. In the original Ravnica block, Azorius was also tempo/flying. Detain is a pretty tempo mechanic too. In the first block, they were responding to white-blue control being already strong, so they didn't want to give it even more strong control tools. They probably are doing the same now, with Teferi present.

Thanks for the info. I was out of magic from Kamigawa to Alara and missed everything in between. I didn't know the origional guild was tempo based, and am used to UW being more about draw go; flash creatures and instants.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 am 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
UW has always (well, for a long time) had solid tempo cards. Reflector Mage is an excellent recent example.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:09 am 

divinevert wrote:
Banedon wrote:
divinevert wrote:

If your hand is empty and your opponent is consistently proc'ing Disinformation Campaign, you've basically lost.

This card does substantially less, is basically useless on curve, and makes you play suboptimally to generate value. It's nowhere near the power level of Disinformation Campaign.

Definitely not the case that you've lost if the opponent is consistently proc'ing Disinformation Campaign. In the very last game I've played before writing this, opponent was consistently proc'ing Disinformation Campaign because he needed to find an answer to my board. He did it over several turns, and it didn't matter because no matter how many cards he drew the fact that he's spending mana on Campaign meant that he couldn't play the cards he drew (or he could only play one card), and I killed him before all the cards mattered. If the opponent is consistently proc'ing Disinformation Campaign and the board is stable, it's still not gg, because Disinformation Campaign doesn't gain life and there's always a chance you can topdeck a lethal Banefire or something.

Cast on curve Disinformation Campaign is as useless as Dovin's Acuity - it doesn't impact the board and opponent will probably have enough cards in hand to frame a gameplan around the discard. Having to cast instants in the main phase is undoubtedly a drawback, but not a fatal one. Tap-out control is a genuine archetype after all. I'll agree that Dovin's Acuity is probably not a strong card in constructed, but Disinformation Campaign isn't either. Dimir & Esper control aren't anywhere near T1.

There's alot genuinely wrong with this post, so I'll try to unpack it:

1. You've giving a weird corner case scenario where you are way ahead on board and he's proc'ing Disinformation Campaign desperately trying to draw an answer and failed to do so. That says literally nothing about the power of Disinformation Campaign besides "it's not itself a sweeper or removal spell". Like, how does that affect evaluating the card? Even in that weird corner case, Disinformation Campaign doubled as a repeatable card draw effect, so it actually helped in dig, so it was at worst as good as Dovin's Acuity. The 2 life gain is completely negligible.

2. LMAO, in what universe is Disinformation Campaign useless on curve? It literally generated card advantage immediately. Unlike Dovin, Disinformation Campaign would draw counters or removal because it can be very oppressive for control decks and midrange decks. I feel like your perspective is skewed because, no, it doesn't hurt hyper aggro that much, but that's that's intentionally judging a card by its worst matchup. And, btw, life gain or not, Dovin's Acuity is not doing ****'-all to aggro decks, either.

3. Esper and Dimir Campaign decks are solid, even if they aren't Tier 1. Esper's biggest weakness right now is a severe lack of shocklands, not some inherent weakness of Disinformation Campaign. The deck is potentially quite strong in Bo3, even if, again, it deals with some massive mana issues. Jeskai is generally speaking better because it has access to a 3-mana sweeper, Dimir eats Jeskai alive. Where Dimir stands really depends on what the meta is, I think.

4. The whole point that you seemingly acknowledged but overlooked is that Disinformation Campaign does more and costs less than Dovin's Acuity. That much seems inarguable. Disinformation Campaign is easier to play because it fits in decks with 10-12 good-on-their-own cards that trigger it. You literally need to make zero deckbuilding concessions in those colors to run the card profitably. Meanwhile, what is the addendum card you really want for Dovin's? Precognition is good, but costs 5. Is that how you want your deck to go? Whereas Dovin's makes you drop your counterspells to activate it, Disinformation Campaign literally proc's on 4 of your counterspells (which also are kind enough to work to fix your draw at the same time).

Long story short, Dovin's is bad, Disinformation Campaign is solid if unspectacular in the meta, and your assessment was incorrect.

1. He's casting Disinformation Campaign when behind on tempo because he doesn't have better options. In other words Disinformation Campaign was effectively a "dead card". In this scenario Dovin's Acuity is better, because you're already behind on tempo and you need the life to survive. Don't tell me you can safely play a card like Notion Rain against an aggressive deck on turn 3, especially if you're on the draw, because "the 2 life is completely negligible".

2. Card advantage does not matter unless you get to play the cards. It doesn't matter if you have 10 cards in your hand against an opponent with zero if you're facing down a lethal attack and none of the ten cards stop it. Disinformation Campaign isn't useless in this case because it's helping you dig to answers, but it's very very very far from ideal. I'd totally cast Disinformation Campaign on curve against a slow deck, but against a fast one and especially on the draw, it's not the best option. Dovin's is the same: it's not a good idea to play it on turn 3. But if you have to, it's better than Disinformation Campaign against an aggressive deck.

You counter Disinformation Campaign because it's good in control mirrors. That's not surprising - Divination is also good in control mirrors and you counter that too, and nobody plays Divination. You remove Disinformation Campaign as a midrange deck for totally different reasons: if you don't remove it, opponent is going to return it to hand and replay it, discarding your removal. But then I'm a midrange deck. That means I should have pressure. If my opponent plays this on turn 3 I can play more creatures and try to exploit my opponent not contributing to the board instead of removing the Disinformation Campaign. Quite often, I'm going to make the first choice.

3. What other major slow, value-generating cards in standard right now are actually seeing play? Treasure Map immediately springs to mind. Treasure Map costs 2 to cast, 3 to activate 3 times (can be spent over different turns too), and after that returns 3 mana / cards + 1 land. The tempo boost is critical against aggressive decks because it'll help you catch up. Meanwhile for Disinformation Campaign, you're spending 3 mana to cast it, 3 to surveil (assuming you use Sinister Sabotage here), and then another 3 to recast it. That's nine mana, still not even that good, and you've spent six mana on spells that don't impact the board (heck, they might even negatively impact the board, if the opponent is holding Nullhide Ferox).

4. Disinformation Campaign doesn't cost less than Dovin's Acuity. Both are 3 mana. As for what cards to run with Dovin's Acuity, who knows? We don't have the full spoilers yet.

If your assessment of Disinformation Campaign is "solid if unspectacular in the meta" then I can agree with that. As for Dovin's Acuity, if you're calling it bad without knowing what the Addendum cards are, I'll say you are incorrect.

OT: Thrash//Threat is one heck of a card. It's very flexible and will be relevant in almost all matchups. I can easily see it as an automatic 4x in any Gruul deck. Captive Audience ... much less impressive. First it's a 7-mana card, and you can only have so many of those. Second, it can be countered. Third, the modes aren't even that bad. Dropping to 4 life is lethal on an inferior board of course, but if your board is already superior then most other spells would (should) be good too. The "discard your hand" option is bad if you're holding important cards, but by 7 mana, many decks will already be hellbent or close to it. The ones that won't (control decks) are the ones most likely to be playing counters. The last option is potentially dangerous, but it's still 7 mana for five 2/2s. Maybe they'll be able to go wide around the opponent's board (especially if they're at 4 life), but my intuition says it's a stretch.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 am 

I guess Dovin's acuity is more of a control deck sb card vs red aggro.

Here is a red aggro sb card for control
Spoiler

Cinder Lash

Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a non-creature spell, Cinder Lash deals 1 damage to that player.

, Sacrifice Cinder Lash: Destroy target artifact or enchantment. Cinder Lash deals 2 damage to that permanent's controller.

—Koth of the Hammer

Last edited by Sl33pHumper on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:11 am 

Spoiler

Biogenic Ooze

Creature - Ooze
When Biogenic Ooze enters the battlefield, create a 2/2 green Ooze creature token.

At the beginning of your end step, put a +1/+1 counter on each Ooze you control.

: Create a 2/2 green Ooze creature token.

Ok now i want to build Ooze tribal

—Koth of the Hammer

Last edited by Sl33pHumper on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 am 

Spoiler

Repudiate
[/][/]
Instant
Counter target activated ability or triggered ability.

Replicate

Sorcery
Create a token that's a copy of a creature you control.

Seems like a solid card. "Oh you want to ult your pw, think again."

—Koth of the Hammer

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 am 

Banedon wrote:
1. He's casting Disinformation Campaign when behind on tempo because he doesn't have better options. In other words Disinformation Campaign was effectively a "dead card". In this scenario Dovin's Acuity is better, because you're already behind on tempo and you need the life to survive. Don't tell me you can safely play a card like Notion Rain against an aggressive deck on turn 3, especially if you're on the draw, because "the 2 life is completely negligible".

2. Card advantage does not matter unless you get to play the cards. It doesn't matter if you have 10 cards in your hand against an opponent with zero if you're facing down a lethal attack and none of the ten cards stop it. Disinformation Campaign isn't useless in this case because it's helping you dig to answers, but it's very very very far from ideal. I'd totally cast Disinformation Campaign on curve against a slow deck, but against a fast one and especially on the draw, it's not the best option. Dovin's is the same: it's not a good idea to play it on turn 3. But if you have to, it's better than Disinformation Campaign against an aggressive deck.

You counter Disinformation Campaign because it's good in control mirrors. That's not surprising - Divination is also good in control mirrors and you counter that too, and nobody plays Divination. You remove Disinformation Campaign as a midrange deck for totally different reasons: if you don't remove it, opponent is going to return it to hand and replay it, discarding your removal. But then I'm a midrange deck. That means I should have pressure. If my opponent plays this on turn 3 I can play more creatures and try to exploit my opponent not contributing to the board instead of removing the Disinformation Campaign. Quite often, I'm going to make the first choice.

3. What other major slow, value-generating cards in standard right now are actually seeing play? Treasure Map immediately springs to mind. Treasure Map costs 2 to cast, 3 to activate 3 times (can be spent over different turns too), and after that returns 3 mana / cards + 1 land. The tempo boost is critical against aggressive decks because it'll help you catch up. Meanwhile for Disinformation Campaign, you're spending 3 mana to cast it, 3 to surveil (assuming you use Sinister Sabotage here), and then another 3 to recast it. That's nine mana, still not even that good, and you've spent six mana on spells that don't impact the board (heck, they might even negatively impact the board, if the opponent is holding Nullhide Ferox).

4. Disinformation Campaign doesn't cost less than Dovin's Acuity. Both are 3 mana. As for what cards to run with Dovin's Acuity, who knows? We don't have the full spoilers yet.

If your assessment of Disinformation Campaign is "solid if unspectacular in the meta" then I can agree with that. As for Dovin's Acuity, if you're calling it bad without knowing what the Addendum cards are, I'll say you are incorrect.

Dealing with your responses in kind:

1. Except that it wasn't a dead card, it was a slow, somewhat inefficient draw spell, which isn't bad for a discard effect late game, especially if he is re-casting, because by that point it already did its job (draining out resources to where his opponent is hellbent). I mean, if he cast Chemister's Insight, flashed it back, and still never hit the removal card he needed, that doesn't make Chemister's Insight a dead card, right? A dead card is one that serves no purpose. Disinformation Campaign, even in its worst case scenario, replaces itself, which is roughly the equivalent of Dovin's Acuity's best case.

2. Ironically, even vs. fast aggressive decks, Disinformation Campaign is better than Dovin's Acuity, because a single resource, even a mountain, is typically worth more than 2 life to a fast deck. I mean, calculating the late game value of both vs. a fast deck is a sketechy calculation, because at that point, they are either in a great spot or a terrible spot and neither enchantment is doing that much to swing it one way or the other. But Campaign taking out the last card in their hand is obviously a ton better than gaining 2 life.

I really doubt I would counter Divination, just as you typically don't counter Chemister's Insight. You have a limited amount of resources, so even putting yourself back on cards, it's not really worth it to exhaust a counterspell on a smaller draw effect. No one would counter Disinformation Campaign if it never returned to your hand. That's what makes it good: it's a mana sink for slower games. Like, in the next set, I could absolutely see an Esper Control deck that runs 4x Disinformation Campaign in the sideboard to come in for slower matchups. Disinformation Campaign has value immediately and can incrementally increase with little to no additional effort.

3. Treasure Map and Disinformation Campaign really are trying to do different things. Map is a fixing tool and a ramp tool, but I don't think anyone would reasonably call it a card draw engine unless they were being super generous with their definition of that term. Besides, in a vacuum, I can agree that treasure map is probably the better card. But that's really moving the goalposts, because this isn't between Treasure Map and Disinformation Campaign, but between Campaign and Acuity. No one in their right mind would say Acuity is threatening Treasure Map, either.

4. They don't cost the same. Yes, they both cost 3 to cast, but neither spell is designed to be cast once. They are designed to be repeatable effects, so the question becomes: which has a higher opportunity cost and/or requires deckbuilding concessions. In that regard, I think Acuity is much more expensive. I haven't seen a single instant I would feel good about casting during my main phase, so to proc Acuity, you need to play suboptimally. Whereas Disinformation Campaign compliments and plays very well with Discovery, Thought Erasure, and Sinister Sabotage, meaning that you have 12 potential proc tools, while making very little if any deckbuilding concessions to include the card. You can say "well, we haven't seen half of the set", and sure, they could dump a bunch of great cards late that suddenly increase the value of Acuity. However, I'm not judging it good based on things I haven't seen, and the cards that have been spoiled are alot of rares and mythics, so I'm not holding my breath that they are holding back some big bomb Addendum cards.

If something forces me to re-evaluate, I'd be very shocked, but I'd have no problem re-evaluating if and when that happens. Until then, Disinformation Campaign is just clearly the better card.

Look at it like this: if a card had the option: "Draw a card and choose one: Your opponent discards a card or you gain 2 life" which would you pick? Outside of situations where your opponents hand is completely empty, discard is just a much stronger effect.

Magic's a simple game, 2 people take turns playing cards and in the end Divinevert wins 2-0...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:42 am 

Spoiler

Biogenic Ooze

Creature - Ooze
When Biogenic Ooze enters the battlefield, create a 2/2 green Ooze creature token.

At the beginning of your end step, put a +1/+1 counter on each Ooze you control.

: Create a 2/2 green Ooze creature token.

Ok now i want to build Ooze tribal

This card can be bonkers with Wilderness Reclamation. Potentially putting 9 points of power on the table in one turn with a continuous mana sink.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am 

I want to play it with Doubling Season... will never happen of course. Still dies to almost any playable removal in all formats. This is a 2/2 for 5 card, unfortunately.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:01 am 

Spoiler

Repudiate
[/][/]
Instant
Counter target activated ability or triggered ability.

It's (GU) to get .

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 am 

DJ0045 wrote:
UW has always (well, for a long time) had solid tempo cards. Reflector Mage is an excellent recent example.

Yeah, I guess I know UW does tempo. The effects like the new split card that bounces a creature to top of opponent's library, I've seen on UW multicolor spells before. And I've played enough UW flyers to know it's not only about draw go.

I guess my hang up was mostly due to associating tempo more with Simic. In my head, the more defining characteristics of UW are flyers and playing at instant speed, so I was stuck thinking their guild mechanic needed to be in that realm. But Addendum offers utility and options, and those are things I associate with the color pair.

Maybe my biggest problem with it is really just not being impressed with the the payoffs offered with the ability. So far only 2 seems good enough where I'm not just considering using it in fringe cases.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:53 am 

DJ0045 wrote:
I want to play it with Doubling Season... will never happen of course. Still dies to almost any playable removal in all formats. This is a 2/2 for 5 card, unfortunately.

TBF It ETB's making another 2/2 so a 4/4 for 5 (and you get the two counters if you make it to end step which isn't too unreasonable) Don't think it's gonna make waves or anything but I think the best comparison is Tendershoot dryad with more immediate value but worse if it does survive a few turns

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm 

divinevert wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Dovin's Acuity

Disinformation Campaign

I think it boils down to which decks want them. Disinfo already has a home in decks with different color pairings. It doesn't ask you to play them differently than you would without it. Procing it requires basically no effort, because surveil doesn't put demands on when you cast the spell with it.

I don't see the deck that wants Acuity. I don't want to play this in a tempo deck. First time cast, it's practically a 3 mana do nothing spell that doesn't put or keep you ahead on tempo. I don't think it's attractive to UW control either. I'd rather pay an additional mana for Chemister's Insight at instant speed, and hold up my counters and settles. For just the lifegain, I'm not sure this even beats out the 2 mana white instant that cantrips and gains 3 life in the decks that run those - at least that's instant speed, allowing you to hold up other spells. Unlike Disinfo, Acuity asks you to build and play a specific way. It asks you to build a deck with a reasonably high number of instants, but play them suboptimally as sorceries. We're deep into spoiler season and most of the Addendum cards we've seen aren't very good, so I don't see the attraction to a card that puts a decision point on playing suboptimally for mediocre returns. Ultimately, this comparison is between a slow and expensive draw spell that doesn't put special demands on your deckbuilding or concessions on your play style, and one that does.

IMO, the one place this might have a home is in a Bant control deck that runs Wilderness Reclamation. But even if that happens, it's more narrow and contingent than Disinfo - so I think it'd still lose the comparison war.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:

TBF It ETB's making another 2/2 so a 4/4 for 5 (and you get the two counters if you make it to end step which isn't too unreasonable) Don't think it's gonna make waves or anything but I think the best comparison is Tendershoot dryad with more immediate value but worse if it does survive a few turns

I’m expecting just one (the token) to survive.

@Timh it’s a bit of a semantics issue. To me, I lump all of those decks into Aggro-Control. But if we are thinking in terms of better descriptive words, I’d argue UW is actually more tempo than UG usually gets to be. Both spirits and humans tend to have tempo effects, and many mono U or W creatures have tempo effects (edit: in those two colors). Mono G cards almost never have tempo effects. So if I’m ranking tempo amongst the mono colors, it would be U > W >> G >>>> B or R.

Last edited by DJ0045 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:59 pm 

This looks great. An actually playable Invigorated Rampage that has the potential upside of killing Lyra/Niv/Drakes/Doom Whisperer/Aurelia at positive tempo? Sign me up.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next