It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
The Keep On The Shadowfell
An Adventure Module DM'd By Bounty Hunter

Image


This story begins with a small party of adventurers marching along a narrow dirt road that winds its way through scattered bits of forest, sparse scrub-lands, and rocky outcroppings of dark grey slate. Beneath their feet the road shows scattered signs of having once been paved and bits of cobblestones can be found poking though the rutted dirt from time to time. However well-maintained it may have once been, near a century of disrepair has left it overgrown in places and riddled in ruts and stones. Despite this, the little group carries on; talking among themselves and keeping a watchful eye out for danger.


Their destination is is the small town Winterhaven lies nestled at the southeastern edge of the region known as The Stonemarch. To the south of the small farming town lies the rolling hills of the Gardbury Downs, small bushes and rocky outcroppings dot the land. Following the road north from town, the elevation raises rather quickly and large wooded mountains begin to rise from the dense forest. It is here in the Cairngorm Peaks that an old dilapidated stone keep stands as the last symbol of a long forgotten empire. Originally a symbol of law and defense that kept a towering watch over the road and surrounding countryside, a chilling quiet now lingered over the area and the villagers dared not venture near it.

Image

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Last edited by Bounty Hunter on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
The Adventurers

34 - Squnty Eyes
Arrik - Altimis
Helja - DS
Jace - OakenHeart
John - Zinger2099
Navua'ai - LordManshoon Planeshaper

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
The Introduction


The Old Kings Road
Trade Route From Fallcrest To Winterhaven

As your party marches along the old King's Road, you make small talk and rejoice in the change in weather from the recent rains. The sun beams down warmly, but a light breeze on your faces keep you cool and comfortable. The road beneath your feet is level and firm though rutted in places. An occasional ancient cobblestone peeks through the dirt road, indicating it was once something more grandiose but has suffered from decades of neglect.

Only a few hours away is your destination: the small agricultural town of Winterhaven. It is here you seek to find any leads regarding a mysterious death cult led by a twisted former priest named Kalarel. While in Fallcrest, your group was contacted by a mutual friend, a member of the Church Of Pelor, a young priest named Marla. She had been hearing rumors of the cults members being spotted traveling on the roads, and fears that they may have set up a base of operations somewhere in the vicinity. She has that you investigate the area.

The warm spring sun hangs high in the sky hardly an hour or so past midday. At random intervals you can see marks left by carriages, and in the softer areas you can clear make out footprints. While some of them bear the hard impression of thick-soled boots, you also notice many were made by small, clawed feet.

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
The Road
Spoiler

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 11309
Location: Asleep at the wheel
Preferred Pronoun Set: SE / squinty / squints
34 looks around and studies the ground. Looking down at the claw marks in the road, he wonders exactly what made them.

"Hey, Nav...ooo...ay...." 34 tries to say. Names never did come easy for him. "Umm, Navi? Whats with these tracks? They don't look like normal travel marks in the road." He points down at the strange marks.

~SE++

_________________
[D&D 5E] Princes of the Apocalypse | Set-up | In Character | Out of Character | Map: Lance Rock

[Johnny's Quest] October 12 - 18: Cloudstone Curio


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 393
Jace

Glancing over at Navu'ai, Jace nods before dropping down to one knee next to ThirtyFour, the feathers and beads woven through a single braid of his hair softly clicking as he does so. He observes the tracks for a moment before pressing his hand to the ground next to both sets of tracks in kind, judging their size, depth, and length of stride.

Spoiler

_________________
They say my bark is worse than my bite. I wonder what that means.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:57 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 181
(OOC: Nah - voo - eye, for those wondering. :) )

Navu'ai feels the sunlight warming his face, and the paladin sighs in relief. The warmth was so very pleasant. Having grown used to poor weather in the recent weeks, the paladin was beginning to forget what a lovely sky looked like.

As he savors the sensation, 34's question draws him from his oblivious state. The slight smile fades from his face as he takes in the sight of the tracks.

"Those? Let's see... Judging by the shape of them, I don't think there are many woodland creatures to consider. Small but clawed would suggest..."

As Jace takes a knee to examine the marks, the paladin thinks to himself, certain that he has seen such tracks before. Navu'ai casts an eye at their surroundings, curious as to whether there are any signs of life nearby.

Spoiler


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
As another cool breeze wraps its way through the trees on either side of the road the group studies the strange footprints in the soft mud. Jace is able to correctly identify several different types of tracks. Wild animals have crossed the road in a few places, but more importantly a few sets of tracks have been left since the recent rain. They bear four long slender toes each tipped with a clawed nail. The tracks are erratic and head in both directions along the road and occasionally head off into the wilderness. As Navu'ai scans the surrounding area it becomes apparent that the birds they had heard chirping earlier are no longer audible.

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:05 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 181
Navu'ai feels his hair begin to stand on end when the absence of birdsong finally dawns on him.

Resting a hand on the hilt of his sword, Navu'ai speaks aloud to everyone in the group, eyes still scanning the surrounding trees and boulders.

"Does anyone else notice the birds have suddenly gone silent? Something is wrong. There must be something, or several somethings, nearby, and my gut tells me we will soon meet them."


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:27 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 393
Jace

Still studying the tracks closely, but taking a few stooped steps forward, Jace tries to see if he can isolate a better set of the prints. He kneels back to the ground in front of Navu'ai, near a large boulder. "I fear you may be right. There looks to be several sets of tracks here, but there doesnt look to be much sense to them. The dont move along the road in any sort of way that makes sense, they run every which direction and off into the woods at some points." He points off into the trees and shrubs set back off a ways from the Old King's road. We best be wary on the road ahead. Jace unslings the shield from his back as he stands back up and faces the group, he plants the heel of his palm on the hilt of his longsword.

Actions

_________________
They say my bark is worse than my bite. I wonder what that means.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:38 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 4263
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Identity: Spider-Man
Preferred Pronoun Set: Wtf is a "Jabber address"?
John squints his eyes. The world is a different place 7 feet off the ground. He scans the road ahead as far as his eyes can see.

"I wouldn't worry. Whatever creature left these tracks would be foolish to ambush the six of us."

Nevertheless, John keeps a watchful eye.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:52 pm 
Offline
Desperately Wants A Custom Title
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 4754
Identity: Man
Arrik hears the varied and minute conversations among his comrades. He enjoys the path they are currently on, but is slightly alarmed by all this talk of ambush. Arrik decides to take the definition of premptive to heart.

"Jace!" He yells quickly in a worried tone, before running at him. Jace stands up abruptly looking around.
OC:
Spoiler

_________________
quotes wrote:
squinty_eyes: Alt, you have fantastic logic. And zero political prowess.
CKY: Through a convoluted series of events involving three tons of garden gnomes and a pickup truck, Henderson’s Magikarp defeats the Deoxys terrorizing the city.

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main


Last edited by altimis on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 4263
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Identity: Spider-Man
Preferred Pronoun Set: Wtf is a "Jabber address"?
John raises an eyebrow at his nimble companion.

"You realize, Arrik, I could just lift you and put you in a tree if that is indeed what you are trying to get at, though I haven't a clue why you would..."

((OOC: I'm a Goliath. I'm over 7' tall and built like a brick house. In case you didn't know. :P))


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm 
Offline
Desperately Wants A Custom Title
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 4754
Identity: Man
"Don't move!" Arrik yells at Jace as he turns to look at the halfling running full speed at him.
Arrik focuses on Jace's shoulders and the trees behind him too much to notice the rock in the groud. The rock slips in the dirt causing Arrik to stumble to much to jump. Moving to fast to stop Arrik lunges awkwardly at Jace, barely reaching mid-thigh his arms flail onto Jace's shoulders.
Still determined to make it into the tree, Arrik brings his body into as jumping a position as it can get aboard his unsteady companion. Unfortunately, unbalanced due to the (stupid) rock, and having an unbalanced surface to leap from his legs go down, but his body does not go up. Like a cat failing to jump from a slippery surface Arrik flops off of Jace.
Arrik flails like a drowning fish mid-air, while Jace slowly crumples to the ground from the force of a failed jump.
Arrik, on the other hand, so enthralled with climbing the tree is able to recuperate from this mishap and easily roll it off, just missing the tree he was aiming to climb.

He turns around laughing wipining dirt from his face, "Sorry, Jace. I didn't mean to maul you. Only slightly maim you." He walks back and offers his hand to Jace among the other commotion.

_________________
quotes wrote:
squinty_eyes: Alt, you have fantastic logic. And zero political prowess.
CKY: Through a convoluted series of events involving three tons of garden gnomes and a pickup truck, Henderson’s Magikarp defeats the Deoxys terrorizing the city.

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main


Last edited by altimis on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 pm 
Offline
Desperately Wants A Custom Title
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 4754
Identity: Man
Zinger2099 wrote:
John raises an eyebrow at his nimble companion.

"You realize, Arrik, I could just lift you and put you in a tree if that is indeed what you are trying to get at, though I haven't a clue why you would..."

((OOC: I'm a Goliath. I'm over 7' tall and built like a brick house. In case you didn't know. :P))


"True, but where's the fun in that? You know I just had to try," turning to Jace, "Right? You know I had to try?"

_________________
quotes wrote:
squinty_eyes: Alt, you have fantastic logic. And zero political prowess.
CKY: Through a convoluted series of events involving three tons of garden gnomes and a pickup truck, Henderson’s Magikarp defeats the Deoxys terrorizing the city.

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 10342
Preferred Pronoun Set: BH/B.H./Bounty Hunter
DM Voice: Please refrain from controlling the actions of others. This is known as "Railroading". Refer to the PbP Guide thread for more information.

_________________
"Life is like a Dungeon Master, if it smiles at you something terrible is probably about to happen."

Play-By-Post Games
Phandelver : IC / OC / Map


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:18 pm 
Offline
Desperately Wants A Custom Title
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 4754
Identity: Man
Finally calming down from the enjoyable commotion, Arrik accepts the invitation to peruse the mysteries of the tree.

"Seeing how successful I was, I think I will need some assistance; if you don't mind? Thank you John."

(OOC: Tree O9 please!)

_________________
quotes wrote:
squinty_eyes: Alt, you have fantastic logic. And zero political prowess.
CKY: Through a convoluted series of events involving three tons of garden gnomes and a pickup truck, Henderson’s Magikarp defeats the Deoxys terrorizing the city.

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:25 pm 
Offline
Desperately Wants A Custom Title
User avatar

Joined: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 4754
Identity: Man
OOC:
Spoiler

_________________
quotes wrote:
squinty_eyes: Alt, you have fantastic logic. And zero political prowess.
CKY: Through a convoluted series of events involving three tons of garden gnomes and a pickup truck, Henderson’s Magikarp defeats the Deoxys terrorizing the city.

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 25, 2013
Posts: 4263
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Identity: Spider-Man
Preferred Pronoun Set: Wtf is a "Jabber address"?
"You are a strange little man."

John assists his odd companion into a tree.

((OOC: Is there something I need to roll for this? Athletics? Or can we just assume I am able to get him up there with ease?))


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Posts: 181
Navu'ai watches the halfling's antics in silence, once again marveling at the invisible hand of fate and its ability to bring together the diverse.

Drawing his sword, Navu'ai suppresses a smile at the sight of John lifting Arrik to the nearest branch.

Who knows? Maybe he'll be able to see something up ahead, or take a foe by surprise.


Still certain that something menacing lurks in the shadows, Navu'ai returns his attention to their surroundings.


Like this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group