It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chopped
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:34 pm 

I figure it's about time for me to make a constest, and I have the time this week. Without further ado, here is my blatant ripoff of a reality TV show:

This will be a series of 24 hour rounds ending on Saturday, 10/13 at 8PM. Each round will consist of a number of criteria and a lesser number of cards to made. Each contestant must use every criteria, but not necessarily in equal amounts on each card. Submissions are due at 4PM each day, grades and the next round's criteria will be posted at 8PM. At the end of each round, the bottom 1/4 of scoring contestants will be eliminated, rounded to the nearest even number. The final round will be graded, then each surviving contestant's cumulative grades will be compared to choose a winner.

Round 1:

Make 2 cards that together satisfy these criteria:
* Converted mana cost 2 or less
* Monocolored spell
* Alternative casting method (e.g. Madness, Splice, Force of Will)
* Uses the words "destroy" and "card" ("destroyed" and "cards" and similar forms also satisfy this criterion.)

This round will be closed on Monday at 4PM, to give people time to get in. If you have questions about whether or not something fits the criteria during any round, merely write an explanation why you think what you made does. Provided the explanation is not too absurd and/or gaming the system, I'll allow it. In your submission, please indicate which criteria are fulfilled by which card.

All deadlines are in Mountain Standard time.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Chopped
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:06 pm 

Space-Time Collapse
:3::b::b:
Instant
Choose one
  • Destroy target creature. Its controller loses life equal to its toughness.
  • Target player draws three cards and loses 3 life
If you control a legendary creature or planeswalker, you may choose both.
"It's not every day you get to see a bit of reality unmade... watch carefully, you might learn something."

Shadow of Recurrence
:u::b:
Creature - Illusion Spirit
If Shadow of Recurrence would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead
:u::b:, Exile a permanent you control: Put Shadow of Recurrence onto the battlefield. Activate this ability only while Shadow of Recurrence is in exile
2/1

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Gone Feral
Instant (U)
Target creature gets +3/+3 and trample until end of turn.
Ferocious — If you control a creature with power 4 or greater, you may cast Gone Feral without paying its mana cost.
Mr. Hoppity had seemed so docile until he tried to take his carrot away.

• CMC of 2 with an alternate cast.

Maniacal Usurper
Creature ─ Human Rogue (R)
When Maniacal Usurper enters the battlefield, destroy target creature, then Maniacal Usurper becomes a copy of any creature card in a graveyard.
2/2
"Don't worry, dear brother. No one is going to miss you."

• Monocolored with "Destroys" and "card".

Couple of questions:

1) Does making a creature fulfill the 'Monocolored' spell? I wasn't sure if you meant Instant or Sorcery.
2) Would reminder text count for the words 'destroy' or 'card'?

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 am 

1) Yes.
2) No.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am 

Impaling Shadows -
Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, reveal a black card from your hand.
Exile target creature if its converted mana cost is less than the converted mana cost of the revealed card.

Hail of Shadows -
Sorcery
You may discard three cards from your hand to cast ~ instead of paying its mana cost.
Destroy all creatures.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:25 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Necromancer's Guile
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target creature or planeswalker, then return a creature or planeswalker card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.
"I hold death in my left hand and undeath in my right."
—Liliana Vess

Spellweaver's Dispersal
Instant (U)
You may return a spell you control to its owner's hand rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Draw a card.
"Each spell I craft is my art, and my child. Should another seek to criticize it, I will guard it, and I will proclaim the grandeur of its origin — an idea."
—Vildur Aynska

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:58 pm 

Ingenious Geotificier |
Creature - Dwarven Artificer | {C}
Kicker
When Ingenious Geotificier enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 Servo artifact creature token. If Ingenious Geotificier was kicked, that Servo enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
[1/1]

Gaze of Shadow |
Sorcery | {R}
Destroy up to one target creature for each card in your hand.

Last edited by Yarium on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:11 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Tomahawk to the Throat
Instant (C)
Destroy target creature. Then discard a card if that creature's power was 3 or less.

Card #2 incoming

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:39 pm 

Well, considering the turnout, there will be some changes. One person will be eliminated each round, and the new round will start at 4PM from now on.

Grades and Comments:
Tevish Szat

Dudibus

Confused

Q is 564453

Yarium

purplebackpack89

Standings:
1) Tevish Szat
2) Dudibus
3) Q is 564453
4) Yarium
5) Confused
6) purplebackpack89

purplebackpack89 is eliminated. Thank you for playing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2:

Make 2 cards that together satisfy these criteria:

* Translate a non-evergreen keyword that only exists on permanents into an instant or sorcery ability.
* Licid variant (For reference, Calming Licid)
* Is a non-creature permanent
* Is related to coming of age in some way.

Round ends Tues. 10/9/18 at 4PM MST.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 pm 

This list seems really odd as it seems to require a creature (licid 'variant'), noncreature permanent, AND instant or Sorcery. Huzzah for DFCs!

Ascended Symbiote
:2::u::b:
Creature - Licid
:1::u::b:, :t:: Transform Ascended Symbiote and attach it to target creature
Children of the Ascended eagerly await their fifteenth birthdays, when they are taught they will recieve a living shard of God and join the ranks of the Adults.
3/1
//
Cerebrophage Infestation
[]Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
You control enchanted creature.
:u:: Transform Cerebrophage Infestation. Enchanted creature's controller sacrifices it.
The licids that control the Ascended devour the brains of their hosts at implantation, but are clever enough to keep the details of the "coming of age ceremony" a secret from their still-human children.

Blood of the Gods
:3::g:
Instant
Put four +1/+1 counters on target creature. If it wasn't monstrous, it becomes monstrous and gains indestructible for as long as it is monstrous.
When the slain pantheon rotted on the field of battle, the scavengers that fed on their corpses became immortal terrors.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:28 pm 

In the actual Chopped show, chefs have pretty weird ingredient combinations to deal with, like chicken feet, swedish fish, eggplants, and goat cheese. I tried to recreate some of that with the range of criteria, while still leaving enough flexibility so that more than a few designs get made.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
YingLung wrote:
Well, considering the turnout, there will be some changes. One person will be eliminated each round, and the new round will start at 4PM from now on.

I'm sad I had to sit it out, I just didn't think I could keep up with 24 hour rounds. if you run this again some time with a longer time scale I'll be all in.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:35 pm 

razorborne wrote:
I'm sad I had to sit it out, I just didn't think I could keep up with 24 hour rounds. if you run this again some time with a longer time scale I'll be all in.

:duel:

Hmm. Honestly, I just sorta came up with this for something to do during my fall break, but there's nothing stopping me form making a Chopped Season 2, with week long rounds. So uh, stay tuned I guess.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

What a crippling set of criteria.

Fluttering Destiny
Sorcery (R)
Emerge (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's converted mana cost.)
Create a number of 1/1 green Insect creature tokens with flying named Butterfly equal to the highest power among creature cards in your graveyard.
In life and death, all Chali wanted was to be beautiful.

Not to steal Tevish's thunder, but that's totally the right way to do a Licid. So much more elegant than the original verbiage.

Symbiotic Licid
Creature — Licid (U)
1/2
, : Transform Symbiotic Licid and attach it to target creature.
Left with no other chance for survival, the order of Windgrace bound their hopes, and their bodies, to beings long condemned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will to Survive
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has persist.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may remove a -1/-1 from Will to Survive and enchanted creature.
Persist (When this is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it.)
"You must live. For both of us."

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:14 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Vile Ritual
Sorcery (R)
Human Offering (You may cast this card any time you could cast an instant by sacrificing a Human and paying the difference in mana costs between this and the sacrificed Human. Mana cost includes color.)
Create a legendary 6/6 black demon creature with flying and trample named Moloch, Horrid King.

Memories of Innocence
Enchantment (R)
Haunt (When this permanent is destroyed, exile it haunting target creature.)
Creatures get +1/+1 and have lifelink.
When the creature haunted by Memories of Innocence dies, return Memories of Innocence to the battlefield transformed.
-----------------------------------
Dark Realities
Enchantment (R)
Haunt (When this permanent is destroyed, exile it haunting target creature.)
Creatures get -1/-1 and have menace.
When the creature haunted by Dark Realities dies, return Dark Realities to the battlefield transformed.

Cato

Last edited by Dudibus on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:15 am 

Only if it can go back to being a creature/previous permanent type.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 am 

So, basically, as long as the card can transform to some other card type and back?

Nah, still gonna do a licid, got to fulfill the last condition.

Tevish's idea for transforming licid is really neat.

Nurturing Licid -
Creature - Licid
,: Transform ~ and attach it to target creature.
2/2
////////
Nurturing Licid
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block and has "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature."
,: Transform ~.

Rally for Vengeance -
Sorcery
Exploit (As this spell resolves, you may sacrifice a creature.)
Create two 3/1 red Warrior creature tokens. Then, if a creature was exploited to ~, creatures you control gains haste until end of turn.

Last edited by Confused on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 am 

Foolhardy Strength of Youth |
Enchantment | {R}
Bestow (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It's no longer an Aura if it's not attached to a creature.)
If Foolhardy Strength of Youth isn't a Aura, creatures you control have indestructible, and attack and block each turn if able, and whenever a creature you control is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to you.
Enchanted creature has Indestructible, and "This creature must attack or block each turn if able. Whenever damage is dealt to it, it deals that much damage to you."

Card Notes: The "Licid Variant", non-creature permanent, and coming of age card. I took Bestow, itself a Licid-variant, and granted it to something that wasn't a creature. This makes the spell possibly affect just one creature (often an opponent's), or affect all of your own creatures. It'd have to be tested, since I'm not sure where the appropriate pricing is on an ability that can be so variably useful or useless. I should have written a note like this for one of my last cards too in order to provide context that a Geotificer was someone that produces magic contraptions from rocks, and she's ingenious because now and then she gets a great idea, resulting in the extra sized Servo.

Echoing Warblast |
Sorcery | {C}
While Echoing Warblast is in your graveyard, it has Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.).
Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Card Notes: The "non-evergreen keyword" card. Exalted from your graveyard is a lot harder to prevent. This does a neat thing in that normally such cards only want to be cast when you have a large group of creatures, but this one is still useful to cast even if you have just one (giving it, effectively, +2/+2 for the turn).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:59 pm 

Grades:

Tevish Szat

Q is 564453

Dudibus

Confused

Yarium

Special thanks to Tevish Szat for his remarkable service to the licid creature type.

Standings:
1) Tevish Szat
2) Confused
3) Q is 564453
4) Yarium
5) Dudibus

Dudibus is eliminated. Thank you for playing.

Round 3:

Make 3 cards that together satisfy these criteria:

* A non-white use of the gustcloak ability. (Gustcloak Runner)
* Uses 13 or more words in the rules text. (Words in italics don't count. Yes, even those.)
* Could be described as a "biocurse"
* Depicts the tragic consequences of greed
* Doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
* Is a land

Round ends Weds. 10/10/18 at 4PM MST.

Special note: From here on, there will be more cards, more criteria per card, or both. I understand that there is/will be a lot to do in a limited amount of time. As such, try to make at least one criterion per card if you can't spare the time for more. You will lose points for not including criteria, but not as much as not making the required number of cards. Obviously, if you can make all the cards and include every criterion, that will be to your advantage. Thank you for your time, and keep up the good work.

Last edited by YingLung on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:49 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Thanks for the contest YingLung. Good luck everyone!

Cato

Like this post